Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Obrigado Porto Covo! Vou Lagos....




Porto Covo is a tiny town. It is inhabited by about 1,500 people. 
If you look at most maps of Portugal, between Sines and Faro there is a blank spot. yay :)
So there are only two buses out of town per day, one going North and the other South, and both very early in the morning. 
One day I finally got up and took one heading South....


This is a little town called Odemira where I stopped to change buses. 




I was told to stay away from Faro, because it was a big city and ultimately very boring. So I decided on Lagos. It's only on the map some of the time...

Much more touristy than the little towns I had become accustomed to, but beautiful all the same.



With John and Lisa! Hooray for Aussies! There are a variety of beaches in Lagos. This one is of the flat and sandy type. The water is gentler here and not very cold... More of a relaxing experience.

THIS however is my favorite. The cliff beaches are a series connected by caves or other openings in the cliffs.
I went exploring here with my buddy Lenny.
Access to some of these places is often times limited. But only if you obligingly follow the signs and don't climb down ;)
This place is so gorgeous.
Words often fail me.
















Lots of the rock formations on the beach were composed of this stuff....filled with old seashells



This was our friend at the bar. His T shirt made me love it there.

Rare evidence of my drunken displays.
Documenting this will remind me that I cannot and should not try to keep up with an Irish guy or a Londoner....






Lagos lasted a few days and then I decided to move onto Spain. 
It was a tough call to leave Portugal, but I had it in my head that to keep moving and to see as much as possible on my limited dime would be best....

No comments:

Post a Comment