Thursday, December 8, 2011

A'dam




 After a week of speed walking through crowds on the massive subway system, I took the train from Paris to Amsterdam.




Going for a stroll here was quite the different and much appreciated experience. The canals make it pretty easy to navigate, and all the water everywhere serves to mellow out the vibe.

No pictures of my own of the red light districts, but those were probably the most surreal experiences. 

This photo is courtesy of another blog dedicated to the topic



This was truly a lovely place. Outdoor and flea markets, good food for cheap, bike traffic.... 

This is a bike park at the main strain station.  Aside from 4 levels, there was also a sidewalk that extended for about another block behind me and on under an overpass...all full of parked bicycles. Riding a bike in amsterdam was like having a small open car. The traffic is thick, and I spent most of my time following what the person in front of me was doing...and acting like I knew what I was doing.



This coffee shop became my usual haunt for the time time I spent in Amsterdam.  "Coffee shops" here serve coffee and other various beverages, as well as a variety of weed and hash. The concept of a menu for such things was such a novelty for me. I appreciated the experience very much.  It was fun to get to know the guy behind the counter, and have conversations with people that came in. 


 a little structure outside of an apartment complex....the glass of which reminded me of perspective. Art and artists have a much different place in Europe and the people have a much different perspective concerning such things...




While here, I had the pleasure of visiting the Andenken Gallery, formerly in Denver, and talking with the owner for a bit. He was kind enough to offer me a bike and have me over for dinner with his wife and child.

Below are some photos from inside and around the warehouse areas of the gallery...






After a few days in Amsterdam I took the train a little further back West in Holland to Rotterdam. While on the train I had passed an amazing mural on the side of a building, and I had to go back and see it in person.....












Saw some pretty great art.


It rained a lot while I was here. Once it began to get colder I decided to continue my voyage further South....


No comments:

Post a Comment